Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: adult, contemporary-romance
Read in January, 2012

What a beautiful story this was.

First, off, I would like to thank my friends who have taken the time to read books like these and recommend them to me. At first glance, I had sort of bypassed the book, not thinking much of it.

After seeing that On the Island was gaining buzz on GR for being a sleeper book, I gave it a second look. The cover? Basic; nothing too impressive. The summary? It peaked my interest a little. I had a guilty fascination with movies like The Blue Lagoon and Return to the Blue Lagoon back in the 80's. The idea of being stranded with a hot guy (okay...so the guy in BL was NOT hot, but we're fantasizing here...) on an island, where you get to have him all to yourself - it makes for a good story.

I even went so far as to try a couple of books out with this theme, the most recent being Nerd in Shining Armor. To say I was underwhelmed would be kind. I knew that I wanted to read about both the good and the bad that came along with being shipwrecked, planewrecked, etc. This means people are going to get sick and injured. Hygiene would not be the greatest. Pina Coladas were not going to drop from the sky. Life is probably going to suck more than anything.

Ms. Garvis-Graves did an excellent job of showing how tough life would be when thrown to the elements. I felt like I was right there on the island with Anna and T.J., experiencing the trials alongside them. The author also captivated me with her portrayal of a slow-building relationship, one that came together through mutual respect and understanding. There was nothing to feel squeamish about. After a while, you didn't even notice the almost 14 year age difference between teacher and student. This could possibly come from the slow-build, but I'd more likely accredit the fact to real-life hardships being pushed to the forefront. Survival came first. Then friendship. Then eventually more...way down the road.

By the time our pair made it off the island, the only normalcy they knew was the truth in what they were together. It was heartbreaking at times to watch this couple come to terms with their world having changed and moved on, while they stood still in another place and time.

I felt like every step of this book was written carefully and sensitively, in such a way that anyone would be able to relate in one form or another. Even if you're not particularly into May/December romances, you might be able to find something real in this particular relationship. Simply put, there is beauty to be found in most everything, if only you would take the time to look for it.

This just made me smile :

"What's it like being with her? Is it true what they say about older chicks?"
"She's not that much older."
"Uh, okay. So anyway, how is it?"
"It's incredible."
"What's she do?"
"She does everything, Ben."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leea Great review! I really loved this book.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Great review Stacia. Loved it.
This book is still with me. It was one of those rare finds that's for sure.
I loved the dual pov's - when it came to TJ's pov it really felt like a teenage boy was narrating.
The author certainly wrote an awesome story.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 01, 2012 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I agree. Sometimes dual PoV's don't work, but it really was the best thing for this story.

Oh and thanks for the rec Jenny. You're the first one I saw who read it, although a few other people were raving about it this past week.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog So happy you enjoyed it! Always nervous about recommending books but with this one, I felt pretty confident that everyone I recommended it to would love it as much as me.
There is just something so special about this book that's for sure!
About time I recommended something to you...you've done definitely put some good ones my way
Agree, pov's don't always work but for this story I couldn't imagine it any other way.
I still tear up when I think of this book.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I wanted to put your name in the rec column, but I have more than one Jenny on my friends list and it wasn't showing the difference of who was who, so I didn't want a notice going to the wrong person, heh.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog oh that's fine haha. Just happy that you enjoyed it. Wish I could write a review like that!

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip I loved your last line out finding beauty. your review was wonderful. I loved this book and am sorry I put it off for so long to read.

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Stacia, excellent review..I have decided to finally read this after hearing so much about it!! WIsh me luck!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Good luck! I can't wait to see what you think of it. :)

Basuhi I finished it Stacia, and really I now get what you were saying, the build up is just about right.
It's like the author was walking a dangerous line but in the end she nailed it perfectly :)
I was literally pining for them to get together which I, not for once, though I'd do.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Glad to see you enjoyed it! The build up was handled well, wasn't it?

Basuhi Yes. (view spoiler)
That was something I didn't expect at all.

message 13: by Hershey (new) - added it

Hershey  (Curiouser and curiouser) Fantastic review, Stacia!