Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > Tall: Great American Folktales

Tall by Donnie Lemke

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012, graphic-novels, ya-paranormal
Read from January 31 to February 01, 2012

Misty at The Book Rat is having a graphic novel week over at her blog, y’all! In honor of that, I decided to read and review Tall: Great American Folktales edited by Donnie Lemke. I grew up with these stories, and had a ton of fun reading them now.

Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, John Henry and Johnny Appleseed are all four stories that I remember reading as a child, and Tall covers them all. I enjoyed all of them even though they are definitely meant for readers on the younger side. I think Pecos Bill is actually my favorite tall tale – I love reading about him riding Widow Maker and roping tornadoes!

However, even though I am still definitely a Pecos Bill fangirl, Johnny Appleseed was by far my favorite of the stories in Tall. The illustrations and story were very well done. It also seemed to be written the best to appeal to people of all ages, versus just children. Good stuff, you guys!

So, if you grew up with these tall tales, Tall is a great journey back to the good ole days when Babe the Big Blue Ox seemed like the coolest thing since sliced bread. If you are new to the legends – this makes a great introduction! It is really short and easy to read.

I definitely recommend reading Tall: Great American Folktales!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tall.

01/31/2012 page 41