Between the Covers's Reviews > It Takes a Witch

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: mystery, paranormal, blog-tour
Read in January, 2012

REVIEWED by Chris for Between the Covers blog:

I am always looking to try new types of books. I, like everyone, have my favorite genres and authors, and there are a few genres that I just never really give a thought to. The mystery genre is one of them. So when the opportunity to review a new paranormal mystery novel called It Takes a Wish by Heather Blake came about, I couldn’t refuse. My desire to expand my reading tastes won out, and I was willing to try something that I wasn’t that versed in.

Darcy Merriweather has just found out that she and her sister come from a line of Wishcrafters, a type of witch that grant wishes to the pure of heart. Darcy and her sister move to Enchanted Village, a little town overflowing with Crafters, to learn their craft and to help their new found Aunt Ve run her wish shop. While struggling to get a handle on her powers - and keep them secret - Darcy finds herself tangled up in a murder investigation when her aunt’s boyfriend becomes the prime suspect.

As I said, I am a mystery novel novice. But I found myself totally engrossed in this book. Heather does a find job building a new world, giving you just enough information so that you are not lost, but not so much that you solve all of the plot twists. She has created a type of witch I have never read about - a Crafter. A Crafter has a specific skill that they are devoted to, such as wish granting. The author built a very nice background for the Crafters and gives little pieces of their history throughout the book.

The mystery aspect of this book was very well done, in my opinion. Heather created a nice set of twists and turns, and I honestly did not figure some of them out until I read them. There were a few moments when I was truly shocked with the results. If this book is any indication of what most mysteries are like then I am game for more.

Overall I was extremely pleased with It Takes a Witch and will be looking forward to the subsequent books in the Wishcrafter series.

Rating: 4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Takes a Witch.