Nathan Shumate's Reviews > Infernal Devices

Infernal Devices by K.W. Jeter

Feb 03, 12

Read from January 31 to February 03, 2012

One of the formative classics of steampunk from 1987, back when "steampunk" was just a vague, exciting frontier of alternate history and the scientific exuberance of the Victorian era... before it became a codified fashion statement and set of familiar tropes.

(Note: I'm of course grateful to Angry Robot Books for republishing Infernal Devices in both paper and ebook, but I certainly hope the spent more time proofreading the paper version than the ebook edition that I read. Most of the OCR artifacts have been cleaned up -- though there is one instance of the word "dog" being rendered as "clog" -- but the number of spots in which em-dashes obviously present in the original have been omitted bespeak a haphazard copyediting unworthy of a professional and dedicated label.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infernal Devices.

D.J. Butler Concur. What's fun about this book is not the steampunk tropes that later came into vogue, but the totally nutty story. A borough of fish people in London... a clockwork church choir... a machine to destroy the earth... Even nuttier -- much nuttier -- is the other recent Angry Robot rerelease, Morlock Night.

Nathan Shumate I think more steampunk needs a wee admixture of Lovecraft.

D.J. Butler Is that a challenge?

Nathan Shumate Why, do you have a hole in your writing schedule that needs to be filled?

D.J. Butler always.