Julie Davis's Reviews > Essential Pépin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food

Essential Pépin by Jacques Pépin

Mar 17, 12

Read from January 31 to February 05, 2012

This is a compilation of Pepin's favorites, as anyone can tell from the title. He gives a concise introduction to the book, telling how his cooking gradually moved from being very French to being "American." I might quibble with that "American" label if one takes it to be typically so. However, in the sense that he now takes his favorite dishes and lets them morph the way his palate and techniques desire, then it is quintessentially American.

As a bonus, most of the recipes have a brief lead-in which gives us a growing context for Pepin's cooking and life. Nicely done indeed.

The plus for me is that there are more than a few recipes that are simply exciting. I want to try them. I want to cook from this book. That is surely the highest praise one can give since it is the reason for the book's existence. More on that later as I get a chance to do so.

FINAL
I will be cooking from this book this week but everything I read supported my feelings previously ... this is a solid book that can be trusted with more than a few recipes that are exciting and cry out to be tried.

UPDATED FINAL
Out of the four recipes I tried, two worked for me, meaning that they were to my taste. The other two ... were not that special (again, palates are very individualistic things).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essential Pépin.

02/02/2012 page 75
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert Such a glowing revue, why not 5 stars?

Julie Davis Well, I've never been a huge Jacques Pepin fan (and I updated the review to give a "testing" result which was so-so). I guess I'll just say it was no "Tender" by Nigel Slater. And, in case that isn't fair since Tender was a different sort of cookbook, I will add that it was no "The Way to Cook" by Julia Child. I really liked it but it wasn't amazing. :-)

Robert Fair enough, and thank you. I will have to look at "Tender."