MissSusie's Reviews > The Woman at the Light

The Woman at the Light by Joanna Brady

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, southern-fiction, lter
Read from June 01 to 11, 2012

This was such an interesting book, I loved the setting I felt like I was on this isolated island with Emily and just the name Wreckers Cay brought to mind the waves and rocks and I could just picture it in my head . I guess I never realized that so many widows took over the lighthouse duties after their husband’s had died I found it fascinating.

I also liked how this book dealt with the race relations at the time I found it very honest. It was also fascinating to see the city of Key West come to be what it was, and what Cuba was like in the 1800’s. I also thought the love story was well done and added to the story and didn’t detract from it. Emily was such a strong woman with a mind of her own and I am glad I got to see a glimpse into her life. I like how she made mistakes and had an attitude well this was the choice you made you better make the most of it.

I had a hard time putting this book down as I just wanted to see what would happen in Emily’s life next and through all her heartbreaks and triumphs I cheered for her and wished her well.

This is a very well written story and I would read more from this author; in the author’s note she says she won a grant from the Florida Council for the Arts to write this book so hooray to them for seeing the talent in this new author and for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

I received this book from the Librarything Early Reviewer Program.

4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman at the Light.

06/03/2012 page 37