Maris's Reviews > Dawnbringer

Dawnbringer by Samantha Henderson

7205857
Feb 02, 12

Read from January 31 to February 02, 2012

Ok, finished it yestreday... almost 150 pages in an evening - this thing is what might be called - light reading (after perdido street station that is).
in short - nothing special. slow start (like 150pages that made me drop it for a long time), than blazingly fast 150, and the rest - sort of medium baked epilogue. 2/5

but why I picked this one in the first place - well - because I had read a review saying that it was different to other novels set in Forgotten Realms novels. And yeah...it was, in regard that it almost had nothing to do with the forgotten realms setting - just the deva (which is not exactly a fore-front race in the setting) and a brief encounters with few gods, and reference to Chauntea from time to time. And well..that's it. It could have been written in any other DnD universe/realm and wouldn't have played out any different than this one.

It wasn't all that bad, as I said previously - its main let-downs ere super-mega-slow start (come on..150 pages for intro-of-sorts is forgiveable for a novel that is 800 pages long...not 300+.... ) and the lack of need being called Forgotten Realms novel. These two would be really the only complaints I would outline as being objective.
Other complaints, if any - would be nitpicking, I would like to say, but besides really great main characters that compensated lesser minuses (abundance of them, to be frank) - those both devas, and the unfolding of their destinies, and how it intervened with the House Jadaren and house Beguine and what came out of it, and well.. that's all good that was there.
It definitely had more drawbacks than advantages and so fairly granted, but can't complain as this was in the end nice reading to shorten an evening without the internet and while waiting for next batch of books to come.
2/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawnbringer.

01/31/2012 page 156
44.0% "ok, let's continue from where we left last time... need something to read till the order on Fear Itself collection and Bone Collector flip-back edition ships."