Amanda's Reviews > Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble

Noah Zarc by D. Robert Pease

F 50x66
Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: adventure, ebooks, sci-fi, time-travel, ya
Read in January, 2012

Noah Zarc and his family are travelling through time collecting animals from Earth - while the animals are still around to collect. In Noah's own time, the Earth has been uninhabitable and all animals extinct for almost 1,000 years. There is a bit of "Take care of the Earth before it's too late", but it's part of the story, and not preachy. (I think that's common sense myself, but obviously not everyone feels that way.) Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with the project, and Noah's entire family is in danger.

This was a fun book to read, with all the 31st-century gadgets, and Noah and his siblings picking at each other. The time-travel stuff made me a little dizzy, though. It always does. If you go back in time, are you changing events from that point forward, or were they always that way because you'd already been there... See what I mean? Time travel is fun; it just blows my mind. LOL

There was also all the references to the Noah's Ark story: The most obvious one being Noah's name: Noah Zarc. Also the massive ship on which they traveled and transported the animals: the ARC. The smaller ships they use to for short jaunts: DUV ships. The robot that accompanies Noah's parents to Earth to keep records: MOSES. And we can't forget Johah the whale.

I loved the twists and turns in the story and how it wasn't predictable. Even the bad guy wasn't completely evil. I like a well-rounded villain.

While reading Mammoth Trouble, I couldn't imagine what the author would have left to write about in a second book, but Pease did a great job of wrapping up this part of the story while leaving enough for another book.

I got this book free through the WoMen's Literary Cafe Review Program in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah Zarc.