Abbie's Reviews > Sixty Acres and a Bride

Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, christian-historical-fiction, bethany-house, blog-reviewed
Read from August 05 to 07, 2012

Rosa comes to Texas with her mother-in-law Louise. Her husband is dead and her family will have nothing to do with her because she chose to follow Jesus. She plans to do whatever is needed to help Louise as they settle into their homestead. Once they arrive Louise finds out that the former renters of her homestead had up and left and not paid taxes and a very big sum is due in three months time. The ladies hope to raise the money but as times passes Rosa starts to worry they will not make the payment and lose their homestead.

Weston is a cousin of Louisa and the family guardian as he feels he needs to help and protect those he loves as he was not able to save his late wife from herself. Weston is intrigued with Rosa from the moment he meets her but keeps her at bay due to his late wife and not wanting to fall in love again. But soon he finds God forcing his hand when Rosa comes to him in the middle of the night asking for help so they can keep the homestead. Will Rosa find a redeemer and love?

I was not sure what to expect when I first read some of the reviews of this book. I knew it was a telling of the bible story of Ruth and Boaz but other then that I was not sure what to expect. What I found was a wonderful romance with a spiritual story that will touch your heart.

What I liked: I liked all the characters. The author did a great job of developing the story line and making her characters real. I loved Rosa and at some points in the story could relate with her. Even though Weston is the hero in the story he is still a man who is hurting and dealing with things in his life that can make a person relate. The support characters where equally as likeable and make it an all around good book.

What I did not like: There really was not much to dislike in this book.

The thing that stood out for me in this book was the other story this book tells. The biblical story of Ruth and Boaz also tell the story of Christ and the Church and what he did for us so that we could receive the free gift of Heaven. Regina did an amazing job of telling that story as well. Rosa kept trying to earn her keep with Weston even after she was his wife but nothing she could do would help she just had to receive his love that he offered her but she like us had trouble doing that. Weston like Christ let Rosa try even though he loved her he let her be his servant even though she had a place at his table he allowed her to serve him even though he hated it. Just like how Jesus is always there for us even when we fail we just have to except his love. The ending of the book made me close my eyes and thank Jesus for his love and his sacrifice. I don’t want to give the last few pages away but the way this book ended also showed Jesus’s love for us and his protective love for his bride and how we have to want to receive his love and protection.

The talent of the author is amazing and this is her first book! Not everyone will see the other story in this book and I don’t know for sure if the author planned it to parallel like the bible but it was a great read and I highly recommend it! I am very much looking forward to her next book due out next year which will have a look at two of the supporting characters in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixty Acres and a Bride.