Emy's Reviews > My Fair Captain

My Fair Captain by J.L. Langley

May 06, 2016

bookshelves: 2012, bdsm, mm-erotica, science-fiction, favourites, reread-x1, lgbtqia
Read from January 31 to February 02, 2012 , read count: 2

20/09/2012: Still love this book. I forgot how much I love the way JL Langley world builds and creates characters. :)

07/09/2012: Re-reading before My Regelence Rake comes out. Yay!

02/02/2012: The best thing about My Fair Captain is the culture J.L. Langley has created. The planet Regelence is based on the Earth's regency period - but with a twist. It's a highly patriarchal society - to the extent that the majority of the aristocracy are male. Children are genetically engineered to be male and to have a preference for the male sex. Furthermore, young men must remain pure until they are twenty-five, or until they are married. The premise of the planet Regelence was intriguing, and also plausible. The planet's history is explained - it has links with the Sacred Band of Thebes, which was an army made up of pairs of lovers. The idea was that the soldiers fought harder for honour when in the presence of their lover. Regelence used to be a military planet, but, after it became less so, the male-oriented society remained.

The plot: Nathanial Hawkins is an Intergalactic Navy captain, running from a past as heir to a dukedom on the regency planet of Englor (kind of like Regelence, but with an emphasis on male/female relationships). His admiral asks him to use his peerage to investigate a missing weapons stash on Regelence, and he can hardly say no. Things get awkward, however, when Nate finds himself with a growing attraction to the king's unmarried son, Prince Aiden.

I loved this book. It's full of humour, hot man love and drama. I found myself laughing out loud at the behaviour of the princes at times - they were like a bunch of twittering young ladies, and I loved that. It seemed perfectly conceivable that they would act like that, given their sheltered status. It was great to see them flutter over Nate, who seems rather baffled by the whole thing.

Aiden and Nate's relationship seemed natural, and their romance blossomed without the use of contrived scenarios. This is what I liked most about this novel, aside from the intriguing society. Aiden was so sweet and innocent, a stark contrast to Nate's filthy mouth and his un-vanilla kinks. The sex was hot and believable (though both men have a little bit more stamina than is realistic, but that's not a bad thing in erotica ;))

The side characters have a lot of life to them, particulary Nate's adopted son, Trouble. Often, side characters in erotic fiction are merely cardboard cut outs to give some background to the sex, but this is not the case in My Fair Captain. J.L. Langley has left herself a lot of room for further exploration (with a sequel published and another in publication process).

The main plot (aside from the romance) was exciting and intriguing too, with its own conclusion. Though the conclusion of this plot brings up a lot of questions, it seems to be something that will be continued in its sequels. I like that there is a strong over-arching plot to the series (it seems), which makes it seem a lot more than just a series of erotica. Political intrigue is always a good thing. ;)

The only bad thing I have to say about this book (though it's not enough to lose a star over) is that the beginning is a little confusing if you are not prepared for Regelence culture. I was confused that Aiden seemed to have two fathers (which is, of course, the case) but the culture wasn't explained until a little later on.

However, aside from that, this was a great read. It's also kept me thinking about it for a while after I've finished it, which is unusual for books of this genre. I'll definitely be picking up the sequel. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Fair Captain.

01/31 page 41