Geoff's Reviews > Death in the Afternoon

Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway

M 50x66
Jan 31, 2012

Read from January 31 to February 10, 2012

I'm not sure how to rate this. Hemmingway doesn't apologize for the bloodshed or shy away from uncomfortable topics. He's well acquainted with the injury and death to both animals and humans, and it doesn't temper his enjoyment of the sport. His enthusiastic interest in the art and technical aspects of bullfighting is contagious.

The writing is up and down, mostly solid Hemmingway with occasional moments of desperately needing an editor. The strongest writing and the most interesting maybe in the last chapter, where he confesses his love the country and his time there. His romantic love for the culture and place may explain a lot about his interest in the fights, and his ability to overlook some of the cruelty inherent in them.

The book isn't going to change anyone's mind about animal rights and blood sports, but it's fascinating if you have the stomach for it. It opened up a corner of the world that I hadn't explored before, and I'm grateful for that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in the Afternoon.