Tracy's Reviews > The Obsidian Blade

The Obsidian Blade by Pete Hautman

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, read-in-2012
Read from February 27 to March 05, 2012

The Obsidian Blade is one of those books that after you close the cover, you have to sit in silence for a moment. You have to let it all sink in. What the heck did I just read? This was a wild and wacky ride. In the beginning, I found myself a little bored. It took a bit for the meat of the story to really take hold. When it finally did, I was happily drawn in. Then there were times that I was a little put off and times where I was down right confused and lost! I know. You are asking yourself...then why the 4 star rating? Even though, I felt slightly uncomfortable and confused at times? I really did enjoy this book.

I am very passionate about character driven books. And while our main character, Tucker, may not have been super strong at times, overall I found him to be an enjoyable voice to this story. Aside from Tucker, however, there are a few of the secondary characters that I just loved and can't wait to see more of in future instalments. First off was Tucker's Uncle Kosh. He added a lot of humor and depth to this story. He comes off as this big tough guy, but you can see deep down he is a softy at heart, and especially when it comes to his nephew. This is a developing relationship that I hope continues in future books. The other character that I loved, was Lahlia. Lahlia grows tremendously throughout this book and I love where she is at the end. She has grown into this super strong,determined young woman. I think she is going to be an awesome force of kick-buttness(is that a word)in this series and can not wait to see where book two takes her and Tucker.

I know a lot of people tend to get put off by the whole time-travel thing. And I will be honest and say that at times I was a bit confused as to how and where the characters were at a few points in the story. However, I still love the whole time travel theme. It fascinates me. Truly. It is total madness. But so very cool.

The only real negative thing I can really say about this book was the whole religious aspect. And that really is just a person thing. I just found it a bit too 'preachy' at times. Not really in a bible thumping aspect, but...well, I can't really explain. I just felt uncomfortable at times. Perhaps it was just the mix of the time travel madness and the religion together...I don't know.

In the end, I would definitely recommend, The Obsidian Blade. Author Pete Hautman did a fine job of keeping my interest enough to keep those pages turning and making me anxious for book two.
And on a side note? Don't you just love that cover? Love it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obsidian Blade.