Jana's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Sep 21, 13

Read in January, 2012

Miss Peregrine’s House of Peculiar Children

The first 150 pages or so had me sitting almost biting my nails in suspense wondering what would happen next (or rather when something would happen finally). However, I have to admit that early black-and-white photography portraying serious people in rigid postures and unsmiling faces creep me out no matter what. There might have been a horror movie or two that I watched too young. Anyway, fuelled by this little sepia-phobia of mine I read on expecting some big horrific moment to take me by surprise on turning every other page. Somewhere in the back of my mind a little voice reminded me that this novel was marketed as YA and that things probably wouldn’t get hat bad. And they didn’t. Not one bit. Which was a bit of a letdown. The whole suspenseful exposition just somehow petered out, turning into regular YA: Baby X-Men stuck in time loop for own safety no longer so very safe have to face threats or die trying.

The whole time travel/ time loop stuff was a nice touch, but there was one inconsistency in thought that really, really bothered me:

(view spoiler) so just because these children didn’t have to see or even face the consequences of their actions they believed that no one else would be affected and everything would be peachy. I don’t quite buy that

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

Chris The last bit about consequences is tied to morality, right? Is it truly moral to treat the villagers that way? In other words, what does it say about right or wrong if you can act wrong, and never be punished? Riggs doesn't deal with this, does he?

Jana Yes, you nailed it. I don't usually care about a moral message in fantasy literature, but I somehow felt that the lack of consequences reflected teh shortcomings of teh depiction of the whole time-travel/alternate realities business. It's only the "peculiar kids" who get to repeat this day endlessly. If they set someone's house on fire there wouldn't be any repercussions for them. However, life for the house's owner would go on in another timeline, wouldn't it? And he or she would have to deal with the aftermath. This bugged me to no end.

message 3: by David (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:36AM) (new)

David Katzman Nice review. Don't forget to use the spoiler tag if you are revealing anything that comes up as a twist or surprise. (view spoiler)

Jana I did that, but unfortunately synchronised reviews when importing them to another site. And frankly, I don't care about goodreads anymore. Flag it, have it removed, whatever.

message 5: by David (new)

David Katzman I think my comment was quite polite. I've had others remind me to use spoiler tags and there's nothing rude about it. But you can obviously do what you want.