Leslie's Reviews > War Horse

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: ya, historical-fiction
Read on March 29, 2012

This is a lovely but sometimes heartbreaking story of the sufferings of war. Successfully told through the horse's perspective, it is not judgemental, just honest. The poor horse changes hands several times throughout the war- he is with the English, the French and even the Germans. All loved him. All did their best for him. He certainly did his best. I even became quite attached to his horse friends who are beautifully portrayed. I think kids 9 and up would enjoy this one. I am very much older and loved it. I must see the movie now. I admit I have been crying over it but will say that though of course many of the characters, animal and human, die, the ending is happy. Very sensitive children might not want to read this till they are a little tougher. War is brutal and the story gets a little graphic. We all know which of our kids can take it at what age. Just keep a box of tissues handy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War Horse.

03/29/2012 "My little old lady neighbor next door sometimes swaps books with me. She lent us this one thinking my son and I could buddy read it but he is just not interested. I started reading it thinking she will be miffed if I don't read it before returning it. I don't dare miff that lady. She is rather fierce. Luckily for me, it's a rather nice book so far. WWI is a pet interest of mine anyway."