Monique ~ Sinfully's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
6875778
's review
Jan 31, 2012

really liked it
Read in July, 2012

I am not going to do a long drawn out review of this book, as it has been done so well by so many before me.

I enjoyed this book and I really liked Leila's personality, I think she really grew into herself during the course of the book. Excellent cast of characters, particularly liked Marty.

As it was told purely from Leila's POV with only dialogue from Vald, I felt a bit cheated....I wanted more from him, I wanted to know what was going on in his head?

Also, this is the first part of a series and though we get a happy for now, it is not a HEA as such. This relationship still has so many unanswered questions and like Cat and Bones, their relationship is open to be developed throughout the series, but a Cat and Bones this sadly is not!

I actually listened to this on an audio book and Tavia Gilbert the narrator did an excellent job of Leila's voice and how the hell, a woman makes a sexy Romanian accent as the voice for Vlad so believable is quite something.

I would actually give this a 3.5 rating and reserve judgement for the rest of the series.


18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

03/19/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I have only read the first three NH books so far and none of the NHW, so I better wait on this one, Monique. Hope you enjoy it!


Monique ~ Sinfully Thanks Kelly.....I got it on audio, so at least I can look busy whilst I am listening!


Exina Happy listening, Monique! I hope you like it. I love Vlad! :)


Monique ~ Sinfully Exina wrote: "Happy listening, Monique! I hope you like it. I love Vlad! :)"

Exina, I have about half an hour left!!! desperate to get out of work now to finish it off...woohoo!!


Miranda Love your review Monique...and I cannot express enough how much I agree with you on the fact that the entire book is in Leila's POV.


Monique ~ Sinfully Twigs1704 wrote: "Love your review Monique...and I cannot express enough how much I agree with you on the fact that the entire book is in Leila's POV."

Even though I liked Leila, I just wanted a bit of raw passion form Vlad's point of view. Out of all of them, this is my least favourite, and perhaps it was the anticipation? I had such high hopes for that sexy Romanian Vampire. Hopefully the next book will give us an incite into Vlad's musings!!


message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Nice review, Monique! So it seems like it's not JF's best effort, but I'll still read it. I really need to get caught up on her books! xo


Miranda Monique wrote: "Twigs1704 wrote: "Love your review Monique...and I cannot express enough how much I agree with you on the fact that the entire book is in Leila's POV."

Even though I liked Leila, I just wanted a b..."


I did too! I was so excited to see into his mind. I mean so far I get some what how he is through Leila, but I wanted it direct from the source! I guess I kind of figured since it was called the "Night Prince" it would be in his POV. Grrrrrr!


~ Becs ~ Lovely review Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

Agree with all you say - a 4 star read for me too


KindleRomance Reviews I loved your review. How truly disappointing that we don't get to hear things through Vlad's perspective. He was always such an interesting character. I think I'll hold off on even starting this series until it's done. Thanks for the warning.


Monique ~ Sinfully Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "I loved your review. How truly disappointing that we don't get to hear things through Vlad's perspective. He was always such an interesting character. I think I'll hold off on even starting this se..."

It may get better as the series goes on, however I imagine I have such high expectations because I love Cat and Bones so much! Other people have loved it?


KindleRomance Reviews Most of my friends are in the 4-5 star range. I loved Bones, but I also know that I wouldn't have loved the series if I had read the first book without the second ready to go. I feel that way now. I just need to wait, make sure all of the books in the series are great, and then read them back to back.


Monique ~ Sinfully Good idea sweetie:D


KindleRomance Reviews Are you reading the McKenna series right now? That's another one that really should have just been one long book. I would have not liked it if I only got the ending from the first book instead of the third.


Monique ~ Sinfully OMG Kris, yes, it should have been one long book. I read 1, then got a bit scared to move onto 2 because of the whole bringing a woman into it, when they were far from OK! but anyway Karla and Jodie convinced me not to be so anxious about it 'cause it all tuns out OK in the end...So yes I will continue with it. It is a very Hot read!!!


back to top