K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Tempted

Tempted by P.C. Cast

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, ya, series
Read from February 14 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The sixth book in The House of Night series.

It’s been 3 years since I read and like Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight (the book, not the movie). People always wonder why I liked that book. Well, aside from the fact that it was one of my first reads when I joined GR, it turned me into who I am now: a voracious reader. I guess it had something to do with its simple, readable language and the buzz it created. I became popular in the office by being the first one to read it and my books, all the 4 of them, passed down from my hands to another, to another, to another… Until I became known as “the one who told me read the Twilight series.”

Well, I am not planning for them to hear the whole of The House of Night series. In fact, I only picked this 6th book which is so far, the book that has the highest sales. So, I thought I should read this if only the sample the series. Besides there are still other books in the offing so the series is still on-going.

This book is better than Twilight which is the first book and the one with the highest sales in the Twilight saga. (It was also the only movie in the whole series that I saw). It is meatier – richer in twists, more imaginative author, younger characters and more heartfelt interactions with the grownups. The last one is important to me because the best part in the Twilight saga for me was the relationship of Bella to her father. I just found that relationship open and trusting. Something that I would like to establish with my own daughter. Not that I am praying that she’ll end up with some vampire-man who will have to break the wedding bed on their first night.

In this book, that relationship between a teenage vampyre (yes, the spelling is like this courtesy of the mother-daughter tandem writers: the Casts) and a grownup is beautifully depicted by Zoey Redbird and her grandmother. The old folk is there in the House of Night to recuperate and she is being taken care of by her granddaughter who is the High Priestess. Since Zoey is also taking care of the wounded boy Stark, her friend Stevie Ray does some of her roles. The main conflict, that the two have to settle is that the ancient goddess Koloma has hots on and the only weapon Zoey can use to drive Koloma away is to sleep with another boy and Stark is very much willing to do that.

There are other minor yet still delightful characters. They are all vampyres which means that they are all gorgeous and like Superman with their powers. They don’t eat people or drink human blood. They have this “imprinting” that is both pleasurable to them and to their grownup victims. It is enjoyable and you would not regret being bitten by gorgeous teenagers, would you not? It's like being bitten by your child when you are all rolling on the floor laughing and hugging each other.

I know that Twilight came first but who cares if the next one is a lot better?
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempted.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice review, KD. As usual, despite your comments, I prefer not to read vampyre novels!

K.D. Absolutely To each his own, B. :)

To be honest, I am not sure why I still read vampire novels harhar. Me being old and gray! :)

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Then I certainly should be reading them! ;)

K.D. Absolutely Harhar. I could not picture in mind your image reading this book, B. I think you will be shocked when you read about Zoey being the High Priestess sleeping with Stark to shoo away Kolona harhar. Sorry, the image is just coming out blurred :)))))