Amy's Reviews > The Underside of Joy

The Underside of Joy by Seré Prince Halverson

Jan 30, 2012

bookshelves: book-club, nook
Recommended to Amy by: Book Club Selection March 2012 ~ Linda
Recommended for: Readers that enjoy a good book
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

What a treat my book club had when Ms. Halverson joined us at our March meeting to discuss this book. This is the second time we've had an author at the meeting and I love those books (fortunately, they were 5-star books to me even before meeting the author) more because I get to find out the background and other tidbits that weren't in the book. This would include things like what was in the author's head when she came up with the characters, their names, the setting, events, etc. When I read a book that pulls me in, I am sad when it's over because I want to know more, I'm usually not ready to give up being a part of their lives ... this was one of those books.

Very cool for me reading this book is that the location is literally a hop, skip, and jump from my house. The town of Elbow is fictional, but based on very real places and the other towns mentioned are real and around here. The subject matter is pretty heavy, so don't think you're getting a light and fluffy book. Even with the heavy subject matter, Ms. Halvorson has such a nice writing style that I didn't feel bogged down by what was going on with the characters, just concern and hoping things would work out in the end.

Even without the author at your meeting, this is a great book for a book club. There is a lot to discuss and different characters to take "sides" with that will open up even more avenues of discussion. I definitely recommend this book. And if you're ever near Freestone, the cheese bread from the bakery (you can't miss it) is absolutely amazing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Underside of Joy.