Jennifer Gibbons's Reviews > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith

Jan 30, 2012

bookshelves: favorites

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Betty  Smith
“She was made up of more, too. She was the books she read in the library. She was the flower in the brown bowl. Part of her life was made from the tree growing rankly in the yard. She was the bitter quarrels she had with her brother whom she loved dearly. She was Katie's secret, despairing weeping. She was the shame of her father stumbling home drunk. She was all of these things and of something more...It was what God or whatever is His equivalent puts into each soul that is given life - the one different thing such as that which makes no two fingerprints on the face of the earth alike.”
Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The world was hers for the reading.
“The world was hers for the reading.”

Betty  Smith
“Dear God," she prayed, "let me be something every minute of every hour of my life. Let me be gay; let me be sad. Let me be cold; let me be warm. Let me be hungry...have too much to eat. Let me be ragged or well dressed. Let me be sincere - be deceitful. Let me be truthful; let me be a liar. Let me be honorable and let me sin. Only let me be something every blessed minute. And when I sleep, let me dream all the time so that not one little piece of living is ever lost.”