Brian's Reviews > Pricing the Future: The 300-Year Quest for the Equation That Changed Wall Street

Pricing the Future by George G. Szpiro

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: from-the-economist
Recommended to Brian by: the economist
Read from July 22 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

(3.5) Well-written history (emphasize history) of Black-Scholes

Traces the history of the formula to value stock options from the very beginning (issuing of stock, development of futures, tulipomania etc.). All good stuff, but for a few glaring typos, particularly in chapter 16 or 17 (missing words, use of a subscript instead of superscript on a particular term in text describing the formula). Some careless stuff in there.

So good history, well-told and enjoyable. But we're really light on the math here. I understand...we all want to sell books, so it's more accessible to the general public, but most of the math is at best hand-wavy. I enjoyed, but want something in between the original paper and this 'soft' version of the development of the formulation of the PDE and its solution.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pricing the Future.

message 1: by David (new)

David How do you get a recommendation from "the economist?" It's not a clickable link.

Brian That's a manually editable field on the review form (have to click to show more fields). I get them from the books the economist reviews each week.

message 3: by John E. (new)

John E. Branch Jr. Book reviews in The Economist are a good deal. I find more books I want to read reviewed there than I have time for, but at least I know about the books. I don't recall noticing this book, but I know what Black-Scholes is. Niall Ferguson included the equation itself in an article for Vanity Fair, for one thing.