Katie's Reviews > Deathless

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: wtf-is-this-shit, unsure-what-to-think-of-it, could-have-been-better, reviewed, adult
Read in March, 2012

What the hell did I just read? No really, this book is an acid trip or something. Having read "The Girl Who Circumnvaigated Fairyland," and loving it, I figured I'd give this book a shot. While the prose is gorgeous as always, the novel falls short.

It's an allegory for Russian history, and it uses famous Russian fairy tales to accomplish this. I don't know many Russian fairy tales, but I looked them up after reading this and the book followed them. The problem is, as a work of fiction, this book falls apart. I don't care about any of the characters. In the beginning I liked Marya, but the narrative skips too often for me to get to know her. And at one point, the narrative even switches from 1st to 3rd POV in a different character's view!

This could have been awesome. After all, the myth of "Koeschi the Deathless" bears similarity to the Hades and Persephone myth. And we all know how everyone (myself included) loves that myth. But the book is too weird, and too removed from its characters and plot for me to truly care. What a disappointment.

EDIT: Hey congrats book. You inspired the following shelf: "wtf is this shit."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deathless.

03/06/2012 page 86
03/08/2012 page 218
62.0% "This book is so weird."
show 3 hidden updates…