Katy's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Feb 26, 12

Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I liked the book, but I did not love it. It still had the heightened intensity of war and the rebellion, but it fell short for me. I was fine with the beginning of the book, although a little slow. I was intrigued by the new life of those who had fled to District 13, the district that was thought to have been destroyed, but had literally risen from the ashes and was reborn.

However, the second half of the book was very rushed and at times, a little confusing. I had to go back a number of times to re-read a passage to make sure I understood what happened. I also became increasingly annoyed with Peeta, who had been captured and essentially brainwashed by The Capitol to hate Katniss. When he was captured back by District 13, he was angry and clearly out of his mind. I understand why (obviously), but, for the first time in the series, I was rooting for Gale over Peeta.

The biggest disappointments for me was amount of deaths, especially of Prim and Finnick. I thought that they were rushed, pointless, and did not have the impact Collins had hoped for. I was also disappointed by how Katniss had control over nothing. Unlike the other two books, Katniss was strong and definitely stuck up for herself and beliefs, but I felt that she had none of this in the third book. She was ” just a piece in their games” and the only true moment of the “real” Katniss was when she shot Coin instead of Snow at the end.

As much as I expressed disappointment over this book, I did enjoy it, but was expecting much more. I was definitely sad when I finished the series!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Katy Liked

Suzanne Collins
“What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay