Tara's Reviews > American Psycho

Jul 24, 08

bookshelves: 1001-books, horror, loathed, couldn-t-finish
Recommended for: no one
Read in July, 2008

I plan to skip the violence, but I hope the rest of it gets more interesting than what I've read already. What a bore.

Ok, so I tried. Something about banned books (well, semi-banned in this case. I'm surprised my library has it) makes me want to read them. But I can see why this book is so contraversial. Even though I didn't finish it.

The first third of the book is amazingly boring. I found myself skipping every third line or so because I really didn't care what people were wearing. All the characters were boring and conceited, and I got rather offended when they said that the only purpose of women was to turn men on, survival of the species and all that. Misogynistic bastards.

I managed to stomach the first hints of violence, but I gave up after Bateman killed the gay man and his dog. It gave me nightmares and it didn't seem worth it to try and finish. The parts that werent' violent or sexual were extremely boring, and the parts that were violent or sexual were disgusting and disturbing.

I understand that this is supposed to be a work of satire, but I like my satire to be funny, or witty, not gross. There was nothing witty in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Psycho.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cathy Throw it away! I felt like the images were so disturbing I couldn't get them out of my head - I guess that is arguably great writing, but on balance I would be happier if I'd skipped it.

message 2: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star