Jason Koivu's Reviews > The Stainless Steel Rat

The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: humor, sci-fi
Recommended to Jason by: Stephen, he of many reviews
Recommended for: anyone who needs a fun, action-packed good time
Read from March 06 to 08, 2012

A fun, entertaining and, above all else, quick read. Just what the doctor ordered after finishing the mammoth tome that is A Game of Thrones. This Sci-Fi lite-meets-hardboiled cop dramedy makes for a nice, mindless distraction. It probably only deserves 3 stars (this ain't Shakespeare, folks!), but I'm willing to bump it up a full star more for the pure enjoyment of it all. Some will consider the writing so-so or even subpar, while others will complain of stereotypical characters (I actually enjoyed the overly cocky main character), but those people need to pull the stick out and relax on this one.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stainless Steel Rat.

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard I've read 3 of this series. They were fun.

Jason Koivu Richard wrote: "I've read 3 of this series. They were fun."

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Jason wrote: "Richard wrote: "I've read 3 of this series. They were fun."

I'm enjoying it so far! I needed something light, fun and quick after climbing Mt. Game of Thrones."

Oh, you mean "the never ending story"! Yes, I hear you. Well, I can almost guarantee you will really like these.

Mary JL I read this book years ago. I still recall sitting up at night. laughing like a fool, and hugely enjoying it! Sometimes you need something to just enjoy and not analyze! Hope it meets with your expectations.

Jason Koivu Mary JL wrote: "I read this book years ago. I still recall sitting up at night. laughing like a fool, and hugely enjoying it! Sometimes you need something to just enjoy and not analyze! Hope it meets with your..."

It has! I'm just about done and will have a review soon.

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) Yes, this is a hero from my youth, Jimmy Degriz!

Jason Koivu Curmudgeon wrote: "Yes, this is a hero from my youth, Jimmy Degriz!"

He's a bit full of himself, but I had to begrudgingly admire him for it.