Patty's Reviews > Irish Lady

Irish Lady by Jeanette Baker

Jan 30, 12

This is, I believe, my third novel by Ms. Baker and I was not disappointed. Irish political history aside I found the story (stories I should say) to be un-put-downable. Meghann is a lawyer who has worked her way out of the slums of Belfast and thought she was far away from her beginnings until a love from her past comes back needing her help. Michael walked all over her heart and she thought she left him behind too - but love doesn't work like that, does it?

Only by researching her past can Meghann fix her future and in that process she finds her history is more tied to him that she knows. I love a bit of a time travel novel and while not quite that the book does fit in that an ancestor of Meghann's was married to an ancestor of Michael's and found themselves in similar straights during the time of Elizabeth I. Reliving the trials will help Meghann in her time.

The writing is lush and draws you into time and place whether that time be the 20th century or the 16th century. It was, as I said very hard to put down and I read it over the course of a Saturday/Sunday. If I wasn't falling asleep at my nook I would have finished in in one sitting. The love story is magical - in both centuries - and the characters compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irish Lady.