Britnie's Reviews > Bet Me

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

Jan 31, 12

Read on January 30, 2012

I was planning on giving this a 3 star but then that ending *shudders* I've never read an ending so bad in a published novel before. It was truly cringe worthy.

There were a lot of funny one liners but the plot was little thin and the characters a little flat. I did find Roger and Bonnie to be rather charming though. But over all though there are more unlikable characters than there is likeable ones. The plot is rather predictable, it did surprise me a bit with how the bet was handeled, it nailed certain cliche but did avoid some I was expecting to see, so that is definitely a plus.

The premise and how most of the characters responded and acted was very far fetched, I would have a hard time imagining teenagers acting like some of these characters much less adults in their mid 30's. But I guess a certain mount of leeway with this type of novel must be granted.

I did find the focus on food a little overwhelming, especially Min's reaction to it. I like delicious bread and doughnuts as much as the next person but I lost count of how many times she closed her eyes and looked in general ecstasy after taking a bite of ordinary food. It was kinda weird and a little distracting.

And let's not forget the shoes. Frosted platic heels? Since when do grown women who don't walk the street corner wear these? "Bondage" shoes and ribbon sandels with big fake flowers. I found most of her shoe descriptions to be juvenile, the only thing weirder than a 33 year old women wearing some of them is a 35 year old man getting turned on by it. Not to mention it was honestly irrelevant. I guess it was thrown in to give the uptight girl a quirk but it felt very forced and more than a little silly.

I know it seems like I'm only focusing on the negative but it's 4:30 in the morning and I'm sleep deprived so you're just going to have to forgive me for this not at all eloquent mess. It isn't a bad "pass the time" read but it didn't leave an impression and had it's fair share of problems for me. It was light, fluffy, and very funny at times. I recommend for fans of chick lit looking for a quick light read who don't mind over looking the unrealistic nature and cheesy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bet Me.

01/30/2012 page 130
39.0% ""Statistics show that men are interested in three things: careers, sports, and sex. That's why they love professional cheerleaders." lol predictable but cute and funny."
show 1 hidden update…