sunset shimmer's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Oct 12, 14

bookshelves: covergasm, i-am-disappoint, boooooring, unlikable-heroines, dickhead-heroes
Recommended for: Hardcore fans of the series.
Read from May 20 to June 01, 2012 — I own a copy

12 days.

It took me 12 days to finish this book. 12 days. That's probably the longest time I've ever taken to finish a book.

I loved Divergent, don't get me wrong. I thought that it was one of the most exciting books I've read all year, and I was soooooooo excited for this book, but now it's like... I'm just, I--

WHAT HAPPENED? Why are my hopes now completely crushed?

I just felt like Tris and Tobias were replaced by completely different people. The badass bitch from the first book was gone and was replaced by a whiny, self-loathing Bella incarnate. And as far as Tobias goes he became kind of an insensitive jerkwad. Not to mention the fact that the amount of angst in this book was through the roof.

And the whole no-reminder thing really threw me off. It's not like the first book was released the same year. People forget. But I soon realized that Ms. Roth posted a little cheat sheet on her blog, so I'm gonna let that slide.

Also, I didn't really understand the ending. I kind of do, but I might be getting it completely wrong. So if someone could explain it for me, that'd be great.

That's the best review I can come up with. And I think my actual rating might be 2.5 or something, I don't know.

But in a nutshell, I thought this was a hugely disappointing sequel. And to be brutally honest...my interest in the series decreased after I read this. A lot. Like, to the point where I may not even pick up the third book. Yeah, no, I don't think I'll be reading Allegiant. Sorry bout it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

05/20/2012 page 1
0.0% "I had to buy the ebook because waiting for the physical copy is downright impossible. ._. Damn country."
05/20/2012 page 8
2.0% "Oh shit. ._. I forgot so many of these characters. That's just fantabuloso."
05/20/2012 page 13
4.0% "Can someone remind me who Marcus is? I honestly don't remember." 6 comments
05/20/2012 page 16
5.0% "Okay, I read the full synopsis of the first book from Wikipedia and I'm finally good to go. It sucks that there aren't any reminders in the actual book." 3 comments
05/20/2012 page 39
11.0% "Oh my. There's gonna be tons of make-out scenes, huh? xD"
05/20/2012 page 42
12.0% "Ohhhh, Peter's that jackass that I always wanted to kick in the taint. I remember him."
05/20/2012 page 92
27.0% "Besides the whole "there's absolutely no recap or reminder or flashback of a lot of things in the first book at all whatsoever" thing, I'm not really having any other problems with this book so far. But I think that's enough for the night. x_x I need sleep."
05/22/2012 page 109
32.0% "Stephanie, I'm beginning to see what you mean. There really is a lot of angst."
05/22/2012 page 148
43.0% 3 comments
05/25/2012 page 151
44.0% "Wait, Tori is that tattoo artist girl, right? Correct me if I'm wrong." 3 comments
05/25/2012 page 173
50.0% "To be honest, as much as it kills me to say it, my interest in this series has been decreasing cause of this book. ._." 2 comments
05/27/2012 page 185
53.0% "As I'm reading this I'm telling myself "Come on... You're supposed to love this." But I'm like...no. ._. It's taking so long to finish. It's not that the book is horrible, it's just... I'm not as captivated as I was when I read book one." 2 comments
05/30/2012 page 222
64.0% "Okay, I really need to finish this. x_x It's been almost 11 days. Probably the longest I've not finished a book." 3 comments
05/31/2012 page 232
67.0% "That was a little too predictable, in my opinion." 2 comments
05/31/2012 page 346
100.0% "o_O Umm... What the hell?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

☆ јⓐⓓε ☆  I think Marcus is Four's dad. if my memory serves.

Andrea Caro Good luck with this one!

Virna ok plis plis plis tell me where did you buy that book, for the life of me haven't seen it in Kino or Gramed Jkt :(

sunset shimmer Yeah I had to buy the ebook, cause I couldn't find the physical anywhere either.

Rebecca Really? You don't like it? That makes me so sad because Divergent was so good. I'm putting off reading Insurgent just because I'm nervous about how it'll be.

sunset shimmer Don't take my word for it, though. A lot of people thought it was awesome, but it's personally not impressing me.

Rebecca Well, it's good to have different perspectives, I think. :)

Izzat Zainal good luck . as for me, i love this one so much and I didn't really love Divergent, as I thought the first book was just about Tris transforming herself into Dauntless, and nothing more. The second book is perfect for me as it tells about the other factions a lot more. But like you said, some people couldn't enjoy it and some people really enjoy this one.

Katy Don't feel bad... I thought it was a huge letdown after Divergent.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Katy.

sunset shimmer Yeah, it really was. ._. I was never a hardcore fan of the series, though, so maybe that's why I didn't like it that much.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I really felt that the book was a whole mess of drama and characters. The storyline was gobbled up by the overdose of angst and self loathing.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

YOU FINISHED IT!

HALLELUJAH!

Pauline Really? I guess it's the kind of book you either love it or you hate it. I for one prefered this one over Divergent.

message 15: by sunset shimmer (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

sunset shimmer Everyone has an opinion. :p I personally thought Divergent was so much better.

Skyla I couldn't agree with you more Fauzy. I just don't know what happened in this installment, everything was so different and it felt like the author forgot who her characters were and their personalities and just made up new stuff for them. And the ending confused the hell out of me! From what I can gather (view spoiler)

sunset shimmer Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "I couldn't agree with you more Fauzy. I just don't know what happened in this installment, everything was so different and it felt like the author forgot who her characters were and their personali..."

Took the words right out of my mouth, Skyla. And that's my theory of the ending, too, but I still don't know if it's right.

Virna I got the book, finally!!! at Times Pd Indah. Halfway thru - utterly dissappointing, but I'd still wait for the third installment. I think now the character of Tris does remind me of Bella Swan (LOL!) just as you've mentioned before. So far I'm more interested in other characters, such as Caleb (her brother), Lynn, Cara.. Tris' not the only Divergent who can save the world, but why everything has to be about her... aarrrggghhh frustrating!!! :D

sunset shimmer Really, it's at Pd Indah? O_o English version or translated?

Virna fяσzєи wrote: "Really, it's at Pd Indah? O_o English version or translated?"
i don't know it's already been translated to Indo :) but if you're not into it already better save for more interesting titles..

message 21: by Shealynn (new)

Shealynn I did not like Divergent. I thought it was a totally boring book. Extremely disappointing. I've been thinking about reading Insurgent, but after reading your review... I'm just not sure now.

Farah I get what you mean about the ending. I had to read it like five times to finally understand even a quarter of it. And Tobias and Tris really annoyed me in this book. I mean, all those fights...it's like we don't know them anymore.

Izzat Zainal She discusses the ending perfectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2b1za...

The ending is the big reason I love the book. It's as surprising as hell. I'm surprised you can't catch it. :(

Leena I was so disappointed by the book. Divergent was amazing but this is book is just blah. I was confused half the time I was reading it. Maybe if I reread I'll understand things better.

Emily I must just not pay attention to books very well... Because unless the book is so shity that I can't even finish it I like it. There are a few instances I only kinda like it but I loved divergent and insurgent. And I seam to be the only one! Why?!?

message 26: by Renee (new)

Renee Obarowski I do agree with you on the fact that I expected more than I was given because the first book was so well written and suspenseful, but we also have to understand the changes that they were all going through. Especially since Tris and Four are growing older, becoming more associated with their society, and their society changing around them. The second book picks up no later than an hour after the first book ends, so they aren't missing much. As we know, she had just gotten Four back, killed the attack serum, and got the code for the simulation on a flash drive that she has to prtect with her life so that nobody can find it and those events from the first book would never occur again. They were bound to change regardless due to these factors because they have conflicting thoughts about subect matters and the way that they were raised also influenced their decisions greatly. Four was against the factions and wanted to go outside the fence more than Tris because he lived an awful childhood and he feels that he has been lied to his entire life. On the other hand, Tris led a wonderful life as a child, no different than any other (that she knew of) and had 2 great parents that loved her. So I don't think that we can just judge them raw, we would have to delve very deep down to their past and thought processes to see why they changed so much.