Raji's Reviews > Force of Law

Force of Law by Jez Morrow

Jan 30, 2012

Read in January, 2012

First of all, the beginning of the book was a bit unusual and interesting. Our protagonist, Tom makes no secret of the fact that he hates his ex. But he hates the cousin of his ex equally - after all Law had tried to break them up. But when Law asks him to be his date for Wells (Tom's ex) wedding he is suspicious.

I liked Tom. I really did! He was funny but very well aware that he was a gay guy living in the midwest where he had to hide in the closet from his working class colleagues. Tom's anger had a very real feel to it. Who can blame him? He was dumped without even a good-bye!

Law is larger than life. But we can see only that side of Law that Tom can see. Nothing more, nothing less and I think because of this we have a bit of skewed perception of him. His reasons are explained later but till then I was on the fence about him. The first sex scene between Law and Tom left me a bit queasy. Tom was literally shaking with fear about this "bull-like" guy, about how Law might force him and how he might 'fuck' the gay guy as a payment for giving Tom the chance to thumb his nose at his ex. As I read the scene I went from "Oh hell no!" to "Oh my God! I can't believe he is so sweet!". I was amazed at the change in the pace of the scene and the gradual change in the characters.

This is one of the books where you can see the change in the characters or the real facet of the feeling of the MCs when in the act of making love. By the end of the book I was pleasantly surprised at the change in the behavior of the MCs and even my reaction to it. One thing I wanted to point out was that even though Law feels like larger-than-life and could do no wrong he doesn't come across like the heroes of Mary Calmes novels. Both of their "awesomeness" is very much different. Law gives the vibe of a complete over-confident asshole who knows he will get what he wants whereas Mary Calmes' heros have this picture perfect reactions and are loved by everyone. The fun part is I liked Law by the end of the book - and I hate cocky arrogant heroes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Force of Law.