Tfitoby's Reviews > A Red Death

A Red Death by Walter Mosley

Mar 07, 13

bookshelves: black-as-night
Read from January 30 to 31, 2012

Easy Rawlins is such a great character for a noir novel simply because Walter Mosley writes him with such a clear and unique voice.

Even in this relatively disappointing follow-up to Devil in a Blue Dress he is highly enjoyable as a man primarily looking after himself in a series of intrigues, fights, double crosses and sexual encounters used as an exploration of race differences in American society in 1952.

In this novel EVERYONE is the bad guy, including Easy. He might be looking to protect himself first and foremost but he realises that it's not always the correct thing to do. This self righteousness mixed with self-loathing is pretty standard for the genre but I don't think I've ever come across it in so forthright a way.

The ambiguous nature of the entire cast of characters works well with the theme of paranoia and 'red-baiting,' the reader can't trust anyone to be on Easy's side much in the same way Americans of the period grew to distrust everyone amid their fears of Communism I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Red Death.

01/30/2012 page 35