Roxanne's Reviews > Silver Sparrow

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

Jan 30, 12

Read in January, 2012

I have never read a story that even comes close to what Tayari Jones has created. Jones created a distinctive story, that engages the reader from beginning to end.

While this felt very Young Adult to me, I was completely engrossed by page 10. And I am definately not a young adult.

For some reason I was disappointed when the narrative voice changed from Dana to Chaurisse. The situation that both girls were put in was a result of their father's decision-making and Dana's mothers poor judgment.

I could not wait until the two sisters met and all hell would break loose. Yet I felt so heartbroken for both young ladies when they did find out the truth about their father James Witherspoon. I guess I like watching a train reck.

I must say I respect and continue to be amazed with African-American hair. I loved the detailed descriptions and constant reference by both Dana and Chaurisse to their hair.

I was disappointed in what I felt was an abrupt ending. I didn't feel closure. I didn't want to close the book and put it down. I felt there was more to be said.

I will definately be reading the two other books written by Tayari Jones.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Sparrow.