Sam's Reviews > Here Lies Arthur

Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve

Jan 30, 2012

did not like it

Being a huge fan of Arthurian legend, I was looking forward to reading this book. Unfortunatly, I was gravely disappointed.

It was rather lacking in plot, I had to force myself to finish it. I found the writing style simplistic and childish, as well as being lacking in originality. I found the characters, especially the main protagonist: Gywn (a girl disguised as a boy) hugely un-relatable.

On a personal level, having read various other novels surrounding the times of King Arthur, Merlin, and the Knights of the Round Table, I really did not enjoy the authors’ portrayal of these fictions characters. I think it could have been a refreshing novel, despite the (almost slanderous) destruction of these legendary characters, but the other aspects of the novel were far too poorly actioned.

So, all in all, one point to the authour for trying something different with a classic story, negative points for all other aspects of the book.

I would not recommend it, and I would especially not recommend it to someone who has a particular liking for, or interest in Arthurian legend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Lies Arthur.