Sarah's Reviews > Summoning the Night

Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, preordered, urban-fantasy, magical-powers-would-be-fun, fun-reads, on-my-kindle, read-in-april-2012, clear-eyes-full-shelves
Recommended for: Mercy Thompson Fans
Read from April 07 to 10, 2012

{This review was originally published on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.}

Jenn Bennett's debut, Kindling the Moon, was one of my favorite urban fantasy releases of 2011. Her protagonist Arcadia Bell's world of magic, good humor, family and community are what I've dubbed, "Urban fantasy with heart."

Whenever I love the first entrant into a series as much as I did Kindling the Moon, reading the sequel is rather stress-inducing. What if it doesn't live up to the first in the series? What if it's a one-hit wonder?

I'm thrilled to say all my worries were needless--Summoning the Night exceeded all of my expectations and firmly cemented the Arcadia Bell series as one of my favorites.

(Note: the rest of this review contains mild, but inevitable, spoilers for the previous book in this series, Kindling the Moon. Read my review of Kindling here.)

(view spoiler)

With this second installment, the Arcadia Bell series joins Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series as my favorite in the urban fantasy sub-genre.

It's funny, because the two series have a number of similarities, despite the details of the worlds being quite different. They both have smart, capable protagonists teamed complex, somewhat frustrating--yet endearing--love interests and a community full of intriguing secondary characters. The romance isn't too intense, yet it feels more fully developed than in many other series. But most of all, both series have heart (and I know I keep using that term) that makes them standout amidst a slew of urban fantasy offerings on the shelves these days--I care about and root for these characters. I'll be tapping my fingers doubly waiting for Lon, Cady and Jupe's next adventure.***

*A rare and perfect combination.
**Jenn Bennett's recent comparison of Lon to Deadwood-era Timothy Olyphant over on Pinterest certainly helped matters. *ahem*
***My original text for this review was, "This series and book are awesome and you really should read it. But, that seemed a bit too succinct.

I received a copy of Summoning the Night from the author. No "goodies" or other compensation were received in exchange for this honest review.

4.5 stars; I'm loving this series even more... fun urban fantasy with loads of heart. (I'll review it next week)
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summoning the Night.

04/07/2012 "Many thanks to Jenny Bennett who found out I was obsessed with getting my hands on this one and sent me an ARC."
04/07/2012
10.0% "I just love all these characters. They've got heart that's often missing in all the normal UF asskickery."
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sarah Laura: When are you going to read this series? I think you'll like it a lot!

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I'll probably have time to read the first one this weekend. Maybe I'll start it Friday night so we can gossip a bit during book club on Saturday.

Sarah Laura wrote: "I'll probably have time to read the first one this weekend. Maybe I'll start it Friday night so we can gossip a bit during book club on Saturday."

Now I'm all nervous you'll hate it.

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Sarah wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'll probably have time to read the first one this weekend. Maybe I'll start it Friday night so we can gossip a bit during book club on Saturday."

Now I'm all nervous you'll hate it."

With your track record?! I highly doubt that. One circle 4EVA!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Laura wrote: "One circle 4EVA!!!!!!!!! "

That would have been an excellent alternate name for CEFS.