Sherri's Reviews > Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness

Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

Jan 30, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is the story of Nicola Fuller the author's mother and her life in Africa. The author was enamored with her mother's life and thought it would make a good story. My problem is that I can't tell if the author is a bad writer or if her mother's life wasn't worth writing about.

At the outset the story seems worthwhile: a white woman in Africa raising children, trying to make a home in a land full of war and beauty.

Unfortunately, the author never quite gives the reader a reason to fall in love with Nicola Fuller. In one point of the book the author tells us her mother wears a gun for protection everywhere she goes. But the author doesn't say why, nor is there a climax to the gun-toting story. It just fizzles away.

In another story, the author tells how she and her mother and father accompany her Aunt Glennis to her high school reunion. But that is it. There is no other story than that. Nothing exciting happened at the reunion, or before or after. I still can't figure out why the story is included in the book!

There are countless other stories like this in the book where the author starts a story and it just falls short of being a truly interesting read and while the book wasn't bad - it just wasn't great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness.