Casey Lindstrom's Reviews > Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: eced-221
Read from January 30 to 31, 2012

The book Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein is a phanominal book full of peoms with humor, and creativity. Silverstein has a way of allowing his readers' imaginations run wild. Each poem made me laugh, and had some slight adult humor in them as well. Where the Sidewalk Ends is a fantastic book for people of all ages.
Almost all of the poems if not all of them rhyme in this book. The rhymes added on to the poem and made for easy reading. Most of the poems had simple rhyme schemes (AABB, ABAB ext) so children could pick up on the rhyme and read them in a rhythmic manner. In this book specifically the images in my mind and the illustrations that corrisponded with some of the poems were very similar. Silverstein allows your mind to soar in all of these poems and gives you the opportunity as an adult to picture things as a child would. Where the Sidewalk Ends has a few poems in which there is positive insight. Things such as good manners, and even religious outlooks are portrayed in some of his poems. Shel Silverstein creates poems with a positive stretch. They all use creative word play, and illuminating observations. This book contains poems that are appropriate for any time, it is just a matter of choosing one. It contains a numorous amount of poems for all types of occasions and events.
After reading Where the Sidewalk Ends I felt like I had just been reconnected with my childhood. These poems are so fun that it is hard not to enjoy this read. What struck me most was Silverstein's ability to be so creative, he truly has the mind of a child. These poems can relate to my life by reminding me how much childhood is and how we often are in such a hurry to grow up, but when reading this book you realize how badly you want to go back. I would definitely use a large portion of these poems in my classroom for a poetry lesson or even a creative writing lesson. This book would allow my children to know that they can write about anything they so choose, and that the options are endless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Sidewalk Ends.