InkBitten's Reviews > Where Things Come Back

F 50x66
Jan 31, 2012

bookshelves: julia
Read in November, 2011

Judged By Cover: I Miss This!

This Cover is absolutely beautiful, I love everything about it. To be honest, it reminds me of To Kill A Mockingbird which is why I love it so very, very much. The simplicity is what I love so deeply and the fact that there is no characters is also a big thumbs up for me. I love the old looking classical covers over the new age Brightly colored, teenagers making out covers. This is probably My favorite YA cover that I have seen in a LONG time. Love love love it!

What's Up?
Where Things Come Back took place in a small town named Lily, Where many strange events have been happening lately to a certain boy in particular, Cullen Whitter. The book begins with Cullen Visiting his dead cousin in the Town morgue. As time goes on, Things keep getting stranger, A thought-to-be extinct Bird shows up on the outskirts of town Just around the time that his little brother Gabriel goes missing. of course, no one cares about his brother, only that bird. At the same time, a Young missionary in Africa is slowly losing his faith, and as time goes on, their two stories may become closer than people may expect. The novel is greatly refreshing and gives a wonderful story as the plot line moves on to be almost addicting, I couldn't put it down, adding many twists and turns to an incredible story that is definitely on my top recommendations list.

Character: Anytime!

I think the reason I liked Cullen so much is because he reminds me of my friends. He's kind and imaginative and at the same time Doesn't take life too seriously. The only thing that I got annoyed at at some points in the novel was the fact that he didn't really put up much of a fight when something didn't go his way, he just kind of went along with it....which is another attribute to some of my friends. But overall I would absolutely give Cullen Whitter the time of day,

Romance: 8

The main romance in this book was mainly Cullen and Ada. I loved that even though everyone wanted to go out with Ada, there was still that rumor spreading around that if you went out with her, you would die. I thought it was hilarious. A rumor like that reminded me of stories my dad tells me about his childhood, which will never get on my nerves no matter how many he tells.

Bonus Features: Zombies

As it says in this book description, there are some zombies in this book, if only one chapter for about two pages, all you zombie haters, you have been warned. (just kidding!)

Talking Birds

Again this is mentioned in the description. Can you really get any better than talking animals? I think not.

Older sibling power!

Being the older sibling of my family, I love reading about the older kids as opposed to a younger sister who turns to her older brother for protection, because I am the opposite of that. Even though I'm the older sister, I will still beat up any kid who messes with my little brother.

A new Pass Time

I loved the idea of keeping a book of titles of future books, because whenever I write something, I can never title it. And either way, it just seems fun :)

Final Flavor: Refreshing

Did I mention how much i loved this book? This is the most refreshingly, beautiful written book I've read in a long time. Why? because I could relate to in in so many ways. This story reminded me of three things, 1) To Kill A Mocikngbird ( But that was just because of the cover) 2) My father's childhood stories, and 3) My own life. The creativeness of the plot was wonderful and the twists and turns in the plot kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. If i could, I would try and get everyone I knew to read this book, just because of its beautiful mix of action, drama, comedy, and romance. All of these attributes made up to be probably the best book that I've read in 2011, I give it two thumbs up! A big recommendation from me, and Merry Early Christmas! Good luck with shopping!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Things Come Back.