Heather's Reviews > The Man Who Planted Trees: Lost Groves, Champion Trees, and an Urgent Plan to Save the Planet

The Man Who Planted Trees by Jim Robbins

7206503
Jan 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: biography
Read from January 30 to February 03, 2012 — I own a copy

This book has an urgent message: we must save our trees or else the earth will not survive. Wow, a powerful message. "The Man Who Planted Trees: Lost Groves, Champion Trees, and an Urgent Plan to Save the Planet," written by Jim Robbins, follows David Milarch, a Michigan nurseryman, who has a mission to save the trees of the earth. He has this revelation after he has a near death experience. The book follows him as he travels around the country trying to locate what he calls Champion Trees. Champion Trees are trees that are very old. Mr. Milarch feels that the genes in these trees are superior and should be saved. He takes clipping from these trees and tries to clone them. Sometimes he is successful, sometimes he isn't. The first part of the book is a little dry as we read about the trees and how Mr. Milarch finds them and some of the people he meets on the way. Environmentalists and arborists would really enjoy this section.

The middle part kind of vears off into talking about the spirituality of trees. It talks about how different cultures have different views about the spirits of trees and their cosmic purpose. For those who believe in spirituality and the lifeforce of nature, this would be the section of the book they would enjoy.

The last part tries to bring both the first and second part together and reiterates why trees need saving and what we can do to help in the process.

This book definitely has a specific audience that it is targeting. For those who pick it up, it will probably be preaching to the choir.

*I received this book from First Reads Giveaway on Goodreads, that in no way affects the content of my review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Planted Trees.