Jake Rideout's Reviews > The Treachery of Beautiful Things

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

Jan 30, 2012

Read from January 30 to February 01, 2012

I give the first half of this book three stars, and the second half five stars. Even the writing improved in the second part of the book.

Jenny is not a normal girl. Seven years ago, she watched as her brother was swallowed by the forest. In the years since Tom's disappearance, she's learned to pretend: that she's not terrified of the trees, that her mom isn't broken by Tom's absence. And then one evening, she hears her brother's music coming from the forest. Without a backward glance, she goes to him. Instead of Tom, she finds Jack-of-the-Forest.

And thus begins a hundred and fifty pages of old-school Irish storytelling: a cold, confusing fever dream in which even the beautiful creatures are dangerous. Jenny bounces from one menace to the next, making poor decisions and not asking any of the right questions.

Then Jenny realizes that no one is going to save her. She finds her backbone, asks the right questions, and starts making decisions.

Honestly, despite being Irish and growing up amidst the creepy folklore, this isn't my favorite kind of book. The thing that kept me going was the beautiful narration in Jack's sections, and later, Jenny's. Fans of modern faerie tales will love this, as will aficionados of Shakespeare. The cover and the title appeal to exactly the right people.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treachery of Beautiful Things.

message 1: by Jenk (new) - added it

Jenk Wait, seriously this book is about Jenny and her brother Tom? Is this an ARC? Can you send me the book about me and my brother?

Jake Rideout I know haha! Unfortunately, I donated it to the library, but I'll check with the librarian and ask for it back if she's not reading it. :)