Caro's Reviews > A Whisper To A Scream

A Whisper To A Scream by Lauren Hammond

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: indie, ya-romance, thriller, read-2012
Read from January 30 to 31, 2012

Wow: this book actually managed to surprise me.
I read Famished, the dystopian YA novel Lauren Hammond worte.
I gave it 2.5 stars at the time and I wasn't going to read another novel by Ms Hammond again because there were quite many errors and her prose wasn't very neat.
Plus, I didn't think she had that special something that would let me say: "Gee, I haven't read that before!"
Famished just wasn't very original. There were cannibals, yeah, but that was about as original as it got.
When I first saw this book on goodreads, I was intrigued, but sceptical. Sociopaths in YA literature? Yeah, right. I don't think so.
I decided to buy the book anyway. It was cheap, so the loss wouldn't have be too big had it sucked - only it didn't.

So you have to understand that whenever I read a book, I usually like the sick evil guys best. The recent YA trend is to make the main girl shallow, stupid and unpopular. But here's the thing: I'm not in the least bit interested in unpopular girls who pine after some super hot unreachable guy. It just isn't interesting.
Lauren Hammond created a teenage psycho in her work and I immediately took a liking to him. The things he did were sick and disgusting, though I've read worse.
First thing I thought: See, this is what guys you should stay away from are like. They don't only think they're monsters - they actually ARE!
It only took me a few hours to read this - and it was worth every second. I snickered the whole time about the sick things that were happening. And I was actually a bit unsettled about the relationsship between the two main characters. The two of them staying together just seems highly unlikely - even crazy. And I loved that uneasiness.

Seriously looking forward to reading the sequel. And hoping for it to be creepier and less cheesy - I mean, this IS a series about psychos, right? (The stuff Adam said were stupid and strange rather than romantic. Hence the one star I deduced.)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Whisper To A Scream.

01/31/2012