Edie's Reviews > In One Person

In One Person by John Irving

Jan 30, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Only John Irving can take Aids, cross-dressing, homophobia, sexual identity problems and bullying and make you laugh out loud as well as tear up as you read along. While this book might have gone on a "little too long" (and it pains me to say that as a long-time John Irving fan), I was caught up in the lives of most of the characters and I cared deeply about the protagonist, his friend Elaine, some of his lovers and definitely Big Al and his grandfather whom you can look forward to meeting. I always want things to work out well for Irving's characters, and while we know life isn't like that he does give many of them some great moments, and even poor old Tom has a dog that comforts him even after the end......as someone who had a loved one die of AIDS, his hospital scenes and the terrible sense of wasting away and loosing an entire community are all too powerfully realized. There's lots to celebrate about Shakespeare here and you may think of some of the plays or at least the characters in a new light. A read you won't want to miss and some characters you will miss when you are done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In One Person.

05/23/2016 marked as: read