Beth Dean's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, fantasy, futuristic, gothic, romance, ya-fiction
Read from January 30 to February 08, 2012, read count: 1

I've heard all the hype over the author and the book and I've decided to completely seperate that from my review because at the end of the day I'm reviewing the book unless there's something which is real bad. Such as racism etc. Also this review contains SPOILERS can't really do it without.

This really really surprised me, it had so many gothic elements in it which I hadn't planned for such as Vaughn's experiments etc. The entrapment of the fair helpless maiden as well was very typically gothic (I should know I have to sit a 2 hour exam on gothic elements) . Rhine became the gothic heroine, a beautiful young girl threatened by death every day and facing an evil villian to gain her freedom and thus become her own person.

The characters themselves were each their own person and I thought the girls were well developed for YA fiction, they weren't good in comparision to fiction however for their target audience they were very interesting and different. I loved the idea that the prison meant different things to each of the wives and therefore we saw part of each character already. Rhine though was a little flat, like there wans't that much special about her apart from her eyes (which are very special and cost a lot and if you read the book you'll find the 500 references to it). Jenna was the best though, her quiet resentment and back story was very well portrayed even if it seems slightly accidental that this balance occured or maybe it's because the othe characters are so imbalanced, Cecily & Linden become almost hyper-characters with too much going on with them and Rhine & Gabriel seem flat and 2D. The imbalance of the other characters made me appreciate her simplicity even if she was only the "disposeable one".

The house and the magical aspects of it were something I really liked, it was nice to witness some real imagination at work here even if in the form of a lot of holograms. But the dresses were lovely and I always have a soft spot for gorgeous description of clothes, done right it's brilliant.

Anyway I thought the book was different for a dystopian novel however not one with staying power, definitley a trend book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

01/30/2012 page 66