Steven's Reviews > Horns

Horns by Joe Hill

7419210
Jan 30, 2012

liked it

Horns overall, was just ok, it has a good start to it and a very intriguing premise. The idea that people are divulging their darkest secrets to the main character, and telling him things they'd never tell anyone, makes it very interesting. And I'm sure this is what has hooked a lot of people to read this book. The first 1/3rd of the book is great, and it sort of has diminishing returns after that. His powers make the story itself sort of get old fast, and everyone he encounters all seems to be a really terrible person. Always telling him what they "really think" or how they "really feel" but it's a bit too much at time. It's as if every person in the world is a negative-creep and a nihilist, it just gets old.

I felt like Joe Hill didn't know where to go with the story after awhile, so he had to give his character more powers, and expand on parts of the story introduced earlier in very outlandish ways. Felt like maybe he was trying too hard to make the book as long as it is. Now that isn't to say I didn't like it at all, I just had to push myself to finish it. Other people liked this book a lot and I definitely think you should give it a shot. Hill reminds me of a lot of his father, Stephen King. And if you look Stephen King then you'll definitely like this book. And just like Stephen King this book isn't for everyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horns.