Abeille's Reviews > Skippy Dies

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books-wtm-challenge
Read from January 30 to February 21, 2012

This book took me ages to finish, not because it was a difficult read, but because it failed to keep my attention and as a result kept being set aside in favor of other books. I'm not entirely sure why I forced myself to finish Skippy Dies, but now that I have I wish I hadn't bothered. I don't get the love for this book. One of Amazon's top books of the month? "A breathtaking novel from a young writer who will come to define his generation" (from the publisher's blurb)? What drugs are these people taking? To be fair, there were positives to this novel: some of the characters (particularly minor ones) are wonderfully drawn, there are incidents of definite humor and charm, and there are also some examples of very good expository writing. Unfortunately, these pluses were overshadowed for me by the fact that I just didn't care about a single one of these characters. Not the tortured genius, not the pathetic history teacher, not even about poor, dead Skippy. And ultimately, that's why I kept putting this book down every time something new caught my interest. #23 in the Book a Month in 2012 Challenge from the #WTM boards.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skippy Dies.