James Fryar's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Mar 30, 12

Read from January 30 to March 30, 2012

This was a very interesting read. Max Brooks is a terrific writer, but his choice to organize the book as a series of interviews rather than a traditional plot, kept me feeling like I was detached from caring about the action.

If you don't know anything about World War Z, it's about a zombie apocalypse. A virus starts turning normal people into flesh eating zombies and soon it takes over the entire world. It's a plot you've seen time and time again, but Max Brooks gives a fresh take with gritty realism. As you read the pages, you come away with the feeling that this could actually happen.

His choice of the interviews give it that grounded, realistic feeling. At the same time, though, you never have a chance to care about any one person or a consistent group of individuals. Every few pages, and you're on to the next person, the next story. It's an inventive, daring take, but it left me wanting.

As you may or may not know, Paramount Pictures is turning this book into a feature film--three films, in fact, if the first does really well at the box office. It's starring Brad Pitt. It's going to be interesting to see how they modify the film to be a starring vehicle for Pitt because, as I said, there's no starring character, no main plot throughout the story. It's just a series of interviews from various people from around the world telling about their various experiences in surviving the zombie epidemic. I'll probably be there, though, to see--but without popcorn, as there are some truly stomach churning episodes that's make it a violent "R" for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.