Abeille's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

May 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books-wtm-challenge
Read from May 02 to 28, 2012

I'm not really sure what to say about this book, which I picked because I've read so many glowing reviews of it. For starters, this book is long. I don't find long books daunting (I raced through The Crimson Petal and the White, for example) but 1Q84 had me bogged down and slogging through at about the halfway point. And I confess, I was long past ready to be done by the time I arrived at the novel's end. I did enjoy many sections of this book (the story of the cat town, for one) and also enjoyed meeting many of the characters Murakami peopled IQ84 with. However, I often found the dialogue stilted or contrived and found myself pulled out of the story because of this. This may well be a translation problem, but at many points in the book I found myself musing that real people just don't talk like that. I know I won't read this book again, but there was enough here to enjoy that I will probably try another of Murakami's books in future. Book #51 in the Book a Week in 2012 Challenge from the #WTM boards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

05/09/2012 "Sort of bogged down. Not hugely thrilled with this one yet."