Kim's Reviews > Five Flavors of Dumb

Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

Jan 30, 2012

bookshelves: made-me-laugh, made-me-smile, made-me-think, finders-keepers

Impossible feat. Impossible story. Unpromising blurb. I read the the book more out of curiosity more than enthusiasm.
And guess what? Sometimes when you set your expectations so low, you're more likely to end up pleasantly surprised. Like STUMPED surprised. But I believe that the enjoyable ride had nothing much to do with my hopeless condescending attitude. I'm just glad that my snobbery made the ride even sweeter.
I love the portrayal of the main character, Piper. She's tough, daring, and has this amount of badass in her that makes breaking the rules seem actually cool (WARNING! This book is strictly not for young kids who need to be taught obedience hehe) while keeping up her grades in top shape. With many YA books have a helpless but beautiful girl protagonist with no spine nor brain, but fantastic vocal cords which allow her to keep screaming throughout the entire story, I believe that readers would find this Piper refreshing, and utterly loveable.
What I love about this book is the details, how the author pays attention to them. Due to Piper's strong spirit and optimism, I find that half the time I forget that she's deaf (note to author: Why? Why????!!!!!!), but the author leaves no stone unturned. Like the time when Kallie and Tash sit opposite Piper which cheers her up, when Josh mocks her by talking over his shoulder, when Piper asks somebody else to make a call for her..... heck, this author has the meticulousness that could put CSI to shame.
Each character in this book has his/her own problems, his/her own character, his/her own loveable streak. I laughed and hee-hawed throughout the book, not at a witty line which most books make me do, but at the scene that the author makes me conjure up in my head. Heck, I didn't know that I had such fantastic imagination, but then, as mentioned, the author's attention paid to details and descriptions is certainly laudable.
As the story unfolded, both Piper and the author defied the odds and came up with a feat commendable not only for the the effort, but for the masterpiece of the outcome. What can I say? Dear author, sorry i did not have faith in you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Flavors of Dumb.

Quotes Kim Liked

Antony John
“COOL·NESS [KOOL-NIS] -noun
CATCHING your mom gazing at the crazy crowd like she finally gets it
WATCHING your dad head-banging like he’s Finn’s twin brother
LEARNING that your new friends Tash and Kallie are a thousand times more complicated than you realized, and loving them for it
FEELING every one of your boyfriend’s pounding drumbeats, and thinking it’s the most romantic music ever written
REALIZING you’re completely unique . . . even in a crowd”
Antony John, Five Flavors of Dumb

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim 4.49 stars. Maybe 5 stars for this book.