Bill's Reviews > Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob by William Landay

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: mystery-suspense
Read from April 02 to 09, 2012

Take a look at my Goodreads to-read list. How many legal thrillers do
you see there? One? Two? Probably just one now, huh?
The thing is, I love these but they really are a dime a dozen, and
the similarities throughout them is enough to bland you off reading entirely.
So it takes a really good rave or a buzz for me to commit one to the to-read list.

I had first heard of this book via the Books on the Nightstand podcast, and Michael Kindness was raving about it. That was good enough for me: the last time I heard him rave so much about a novel was for Await Your Reply, which I agreed was quite good.

Defending Jacob follows the murder trial of, yes, Jacob, a young teen who is accused of stabbing a classmate to death. Jacob is the son of the assistant DA, which throws a bit of a wrench into the household, not to mention Dad's career.

The best legal thrillers string the reader along with uncertainties, those unknown facts, without the oh-so-tired pulling a rabbit out of a hat device.
Landay did a pretty good job of this, and the wedge this case drove into the family dynamic was very well explored.

Yes, I love a good legal thriller, and unfortunately there are so few that stand out from the cliches, I don't read the genre as much as I would like. But when they are this absorbing and unique, they get the juices flowing in a fun brain-candy kind of way.

I recommend this one highly...just short of the five star 'amazing' rating, but a very strong four star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Trudi I really enjoyed this one Bill. Four stars for me too. I couldn't believe how engrossed I became and invested in the outcome.

Bill It was quite well done, eh? I'll definitely read him again.