Michelle's Reviews > The Talk-Funny Girl

The Talk-Funny Girl by Roland Merullo

Jan 30, 2012

Read from January 30 to 31, 2012

This book strongly reminded me of The Glass Castle except that it is fiction. Set in northern New Hampshire, The Talk-Funny Girl is a coming of age story of a young girl with a family so dysfunctional that all they do is sit around and drink/smoke/chop wood in their shack in the woods and speak in a nearly incomprehensible backwoods dialect. 1) I hate the term "coming of age" so I am not sure why I just used it, except that it seems the most apt term, 2) the story's trajectory is less than a year, so it is more accurate to say the book tell mostly the coming-of-age part without a long intro.

All that said, this story was really quite good -- it was a very quick read, the characters (even the insane ones) seemed very believable, and the author's insight into the psyche of an isolated young girl is incredible. I really enjoyed this book although I don't see myself re-reading it -- but I am definitely planning to check out some of Merullo's other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talk-Funny Girl.