Jacqie's Reviews > Already Home

Already Home by Susan Mallery

Jan 30, 12

Read in January, 2012

I've always kind of liked Susan Mallery's frothy little romantic comedies. It looks like now she is trying to redefine herself as an author who's a bit more serious, like Susan Wiggs, maybe. There's still some romance in this book, but it is more of a women's fiction book, focusing on relationships between mothers and daughters.

I was drawn to the book because the main character is a chef who decides to open a cookware store. I love to cook and worked in retail until recently, so I was interested see where this would go. If only my bookstore had managed to draw customers as easily as Grate Expectations does! I found some of it a bit unrealistic, but really the point of the book is that the main character was adopted, and suddenly her birth parents contact her.

Violet was the character that really spoke to me- trying so hard to make something of herself, to be "normal" while dealing with a painful past. I've never read a character like her before.

I found myself wishing that I had more close female relationships in my life after reading this book. The writing isn't always the most skillful, and you can see what's coming with the adopted mom long before the characters do, but it's a nice, gentle book that's good to read to relax.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Already Home.

Cassie ♥ thank you for not giving it 5 stars because it was written by Susan Mallery.