Mimi Smith's Reviews > Broken

Jul 17, 14

bookshelves: r
Read from January 30 to 31, 2012

4 stars

This isn't a book-it's an emotional Roller Coaster. I went through every emotion in the book, while reading. I was happy, sad, angry, sympathetic, sad, you know *blushes*, and SAD again. If you're looking for something hot and sweet don't read it. If you're looking for heavy duty angst and real-life story then it might be. So, despite this book being classified as an Erotica, it's definitely not one to set you in the mood. Unless that mood is a depressed.

The Premise

This book begins with the telling of a story we later learn Joe is telling to Sadie. It's a sexy story and we learn it's their ritual. Every first Friday of the month they would meet and talk. It might seem a budding romance...Until we find out Sadie is married. To Adam. The way the book is written, we gradually find out about Sadie's past and her current situation, about Adam, Joe, Sadie&Adam, etc., in between Joe's monthly stories. It becomes clear Sadie and Adam are having marriage troubles, have been having them since Adam's accident when he became paralyzed. It has changed them and their marriage drastically and though love is still there, other, darker emotions are too. And while Sadie's situation with Joe isn't technically an affair, it's emotional cheating for sure.

I'm still not sure whether I even like the plot and the characters, but I was absorbed by them all the same. Watching Sadie hurt Joe, Adam hurt Sadie, Sadie hurt Adam, Joe hurt Sadie was simply sad. The web of love, pain and lust was very present here. By the end I wasn't even sure how I wanted it to be resolved, I felt for them all. And while the ending was somewhat happy, more hopeful, it was, you guessed it, kind of sad too IMO.

Here is a quote that was simply painful...

“Admit it,” Adam said finally, his voice cracked from screaming. “You wish I’d died.”
I got to my feet. Again, I got in his face, giving him the aggression he was giving me. He couldn’t shrink away. I think he wouldn’t have, even if he could. “Yes,” I told him. “Sometimes I wish you had.”
We stared at each other for what felt like a very long time.
“So do I,” Adam said.

And two others that were hopeful...

"There are many things I don’t know, but quite a few I do. I know you can’t be lost if you know where you are. I know that life is full of precious and fragile things, and not all of them are pretty. I know that the sun follows the moon and makes days, one after another. Time passes. The world turns, and we turn with it, and though we can never go back to the beginning, sometimes, we can start again."

"There is only one truth of which I feel confident, one thing I know that nothing else can change.
This month, my name is Sadie."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Taryn at My Secret Romance I like your review, Mimi. I bought this book months ago after a friend kept raving about it. It's still sitting on my shelf. Maybe I should pick it up soon. :) I love the angsty read the most so I'll probably like this one.

Mimi Smith Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I like your review, Mimi. I bought this book months ago after a friend kept raving about it. It's still sitting on my shelf. Maybe I should pick it up soon. :) I love the angsty read the most so I'..."

Probably. I wasn't sure whether I'd like that much angst and am still not, lol. Still, the book had me obsessed and I'll pick up the others.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Love the quotes, Mimi. INTENSE!!!

I really want to read it, but I'm also anxious about it. It seems like it'll rip your heart out. The story seems so...real(?)...I don't how to describe what I've gathered so far.

Hopefully, the following books aren't as dark. Thanks for the review. I'll find my "happy place" before I read it. LOL

Mimi Smith Anna wrote: "Love the quotes, Mimi. INTENSE!!!

Yes it is intense. I've heard all the books are very emotional and real and that this one has one of happier endings. I'm just reading Dirty, and while it has emotional turmoil, it doesn't feel as...angsty, so far. It's actually the first book in the, well not technically series, but the books have some overlapping characters. For instance Elle from Dirty is a client of Sadie's in Broken. She seems happy there, so I know it has a HEA of some kind, lol.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Mimi wrote: As for the Happy Place...Find it and lock yourself in! Still, it's definitely worth a read, as long you know what to expect.

The other reviews have given ideas of what will happen. I plan of reading it and will be sure to lock myself in my Happy Place. LOL

Mimi Smith Good then. Enjoy the read!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Mimi! Have you read Dirty by Megan Hart? It was darn good!

Mimi Smith Baba wrote: "Great review, Mimi! Have you read Dirty by Megan Hart? It was darn good!"

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Mimi wrote: "Baba wrote: "Great review, Mimi! Have you read Dirty by Megan Hart? It was darn good!"

Thanks! I'm reading it now. I love it so far. It's a lot less painful to read, too.:)"

Great, Mimi! :)

message 10: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Sounds like an emotionally painful experience. I'll be reading this soon ... call it morbid curiousity. :P

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Arlene wrote: "Sounds like an emotionally painful experience. I'll be reading this soon ... call it morbid curiousity. :P"

It is. If you want to read a bit...lighter book by Megan Hart lest you be frightened off, try Dirty. It's still very serious and deals with issues such as abuse and promiscuity, but I wasn't so conflicted about that one. Elle, the protagonist there appears in Broken.

But I hadn't listened to that either and I rushed to read this book, first, to see what it's all about. So, yeah:D It's more gripping, for sure.

message 12: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Oh I'll have to look into that one. I've never read a book by Megan Hart, so you have me curious. :)

message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Arlene wrote: "Oh I'll have to look into that one. I've never read a book by Megan Hart, so you have me curious. :)"

I hope you like it:D. Not everyone does and even I had to take a break after Tempted. Now that book, I didn't like:(. I'll read something lighter now, probably.

message 14: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Wonderful review Mimi and those quotes are intense!

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Thanks! And the whole book is so, so intense.