Jo Sorrell's Reviews > Dear Mr. Henshaw

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary

Jan 30, 2012

Read in January, 2012

from building rainbows
In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.
In this story, a boy named Leigh Botts writes to a man named Mr.Henshaw. It doesn't tell his first name in the story. Leigh Botts has always written to Mr.Henshaw since he was in the third grade. It's funny how every time Leigh moves to a different grade he has to do the same work. He had to write to a writer in all his grades from third to sixth grade.

Mr.Henshaw is a professional writer and Leigh Botts has read every one of his books. Leigh Botts wrote a letter to Mr.Henshaw about books that Mr. Henshaw had written called "Moose On Toast" and "Ways To Amuse a Dog." Mr. Henshaw did write back but with a typewriter. Leigh Botts sent Mr. Henshaw some questions and he never answered them until Leigh Botts wrote to him again.

Finally Leigh gets answers to his questions.

This book was published in 1983 and I cannot believe it took me this many years to read this wonderful book. I read it in one sitting. It deals with tough topics but topics very real to our students today.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Mr. Henshaw.