Caroline's Reviews > Camber of Culdi

Camber of Culdi by Katherine Kurtz

F_50x66
** spoiler alert ** All the Deryni books are absolutley amazing, but I think that the three Camber books are the best of the lot. A mixture of historical fiction, religion, ESP and fantasy, this series plunges the reader into the darker and lighter sides of the human psyche in excruciating detail.
The Deryni are a race of humans that possess unusual talents, most of which could be classified as ESP. "Good" Deryni, like Camber and his family, are tyring to explore their own power and potential, and to use that power to help those who need it, humans and Deryni alike. Unfortunately, those in power when the series opens are the "not-so-good" Deryni, who are lording it over the "normal" humans and even some of the other Deryni. Camber and others try to change things...But sometimes what replaces a corrupt regime can be as bad as what went before, especially when fear of the unknown and lust for revenge combine with religion inside those in power.
However, even in the darkest moments of history there is joy as well as despair, and love as well as hate. This book contains one of the best love stories I have ever read, and some of the strongest loyalties I have ever seen. It is, without a doubt, an amazing story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camber of Culdi.